- Create and design games for iPhone and iPad using SpriteKit and Swift 3.0
- Learn the core fundamentals of SpriteKit game development and mix and match techniques to customize your game
- This step-by-step practical guide will teach you to build games from scratch using the little-known tips and strategies
Swift combined with Spritekit is the perfect choice for game development. With the announcement of Swift 3.0, developers are intrigued and want to make use of this programming language to develop games. Packed with best practices and easy-to-use examples, this book leads you step by step through the development of your first Swift game.
This book starts by introducing Spritekit and Swift's new features that can be used for game development. After setting up your first Swift project, you will build your first custom class, Sprite, learn to draw and animate your game. You will then add physics bodies, manipulate basic properties, and apply impulses for targeted sprite movement.
You will further add the player character and NPCs, and implement controls. To make your game more fun and engaging, you'll see how to set up the scenes and backgrounds, include fun menus, and integrate with Apple Game Center to add leaderboards and achievements. You will then make your game stand out by adding animations when game objects collide, and incorporate proven techniques such as the advanced particle system and graphics. Finally, you will explore the various options available to start down the path towards monetization and then publish your finished games to the App Store.
By the end of this book, you will be able to create your own iOS games using Swift and SpriteKit
What you will learn
- Deliver powerful graphics, physics, and sound in your game by using SpriteKit
- Set up the scene using the new capabilities of the scene editor and custom classes
- Use Tile Sets to draw Backgrounds
- Maximize gameplay with little-known tips and strategies for fun and repeatable action
- Make use of animations, graphics, and particles to design your game
- Understand the current mobile monetization landscape to choose the best option for your own situation
- Integrate your game with Game Center so that your players can share their high scores and achievements
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Designing Games with Swift
Chapter 2. Sprites, Camera, Action!
Chapter 3. Mix in the Physics
Chapter 4. Adding Controls
Chapter 5. Spawning Enemies, Coins, and Power-ups
Chapter 6. Generating a Never-Ending World
Chapter 7. Implementing Collision Events
Chapter 8. Polishing to a Shine - HUD, Parallax Backgrounds, Particles, and More
Chapter 9. Adding Menus and Sounds
Chapter 10. Standing Out in the Crowd with Advanced Features
Chapter 11. Choosing a Monetization Strategy
Chapter 12. Integrating with Game Center
Chapter 13. Ship It! Preparing for the App Store and Publication